Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Mayo Clinic-Day 9

Mayo Clinic-Day 9 (Wednesday October 25, 2017)
We rolled out of bed around 4:30 am even though I had been awake since 4 am. Brianna needed to do her special shower wash so that was the first thing that needed to be done. After showers, we got dressed for the day and got everything that we needed for the day. I told Brianna to pack a light bag to have when the surgery was over. We left the hotel around 5:30 am to get to the hospital on time. It was a quiet ride as we were both very tired as well as a little nervous for the day to begin. Upon arrival we headed inside to the receptionist. There had to have been at least 100 people there in the lobby waiting area prepping for surgery. I have never seen anything like it. We checked Brianna in and were informed that a private room would cost a little extra which I was more than happy paying as we have so much family here. We were told to go and sit down and someone would be with us shortly to take us back. 

After a few minutes we were called to go to the next stage of the process. We walked down the hallway and up an elevator to the Surgery Prep Prep area. I say Surgery Prep Prep area because this was all the paperwork and vitals and what not that needed to be completed prior to Surgery Prep. Brianna changed into her gown and put all of her clothes in the bag she brought. Soon after a Chaplain came and asked us if we were doing okay and if we needed any spiritual care they could come and tend to us. We thanked him for coming and let him know we didn't need anything at that time. As he was leaving, a pharmacist entered the room to verify medications. As Brianna really isn't taking anything except her prenatal vitamin, that visit was pretty short. Then two nurses came in to take Brianna's vitals and ask her some post procedural questions like how she will manage getting around after the procedure. During that time the surgeons assistant came and answered any remaining questions as well as reviewed Brianna's head and initialed where the surgery would be performed. I was then taken on a short tour of where I could stay, what the process would be for updating me as well as what to do if I decided to step out. I was informed that there would be a case nurse who would call me or talk to me when the surgery actually started and when it was finished. That really brought some peace knowing that I would be continually updated. When I returned the nurses finished up and it was time for Brianna to head back to Pre Surgery. This was the point that we had to separate as I was not allowed back in the Operating Room (OR). I kissed my sweet wife and told her that everything would be okay. I let her know that it would be like a dream for her and it would be over shortly. I told her that I loved her and that I would see her soon. She smiled and told me to get some rest which we all knew wasn't going to actually happen. I watched as they wheeled her down the hall to prep for the next steps. 

I then went to the waiting room and wrote Mayo Clinic-Day 7. I knew I was behind so I was attempting to catch up. Both sets of parents were now texting me and making sure I was doing okay as well as wanting to know if I was coming back to the hotel. I told them I did want to go eat as well as see Watson but I wanted to finish my blog. I was told to do whatever brought me peace. I finished writing the blog around 7:30 am and headed back to the hotel. I was told that Brianna would only being Pre Op for an hour and then would be in surgery but I had not received a call yet. I figured they had just forgotten to call. Not thinking too much about it, I ate breakfast with my family and just relaxed for a bit. I started with Watson, Kim and Terry and they shortly went to their room to prep Watson for the day. I then ate with my Dad and shortly after my Mom joined us. We watched some Rhett and Link (silly YouTube channel called Good Mythical More look it up) which allowed us to laugh and just breathe. As we were walking back upstairs, I received a phone call at 9:24 am that Brianna was just now going into surgery. I was amazed that it took that long but was glad to hear things were moving along smoothly. My mom wanted to go to a store so I gathered everybody so we could go to Shopko as we attempted to burn some time. We shopped at Shopko for about an hour and then I had another phone call stating that the procedure was completed and that they were sewing Brianna back up. At that point we knew we could head back to the hospital. 

We were told to go to the 8th floor and wait in the family waiting area. On our way to the Hospital, Watson fell asleep. After parking, I carefully picked up and he stayed asleep as I carried him through the halls. At one point there were two people pushing loud carts and they even stopped to let me walk by as Watson was sleeping. I thought that was very nice. We arrived at the family waiting area and I continued to hold Watson as he slept. After about 5-10 minutes our name was called to go downstairs to speak with Dr. Meyer regarding the biopsy and how everything went. We were put in another waiting area for another 5 minutes. We then were called to another room where Dr. Meyer would come talk with us. As we got into that room, Watson woke up. The 5 adults in the room attempted to entertain Watson to the best of our ability. Shortly after entering the room Dr. Meyer came to speak with us. He let us know that Brianna had done wonderfully and that there had been no complications. He stated that there was not bleeding and he was able to extract 5 tissue samples which will allow them to get the testing that they need to perform. He informed us that it could be a few days before there are any results and asked when we had planned on traveling home. I informed him that I had hoped to fly home Saturday. He felt that would be a little soon or results but set up a couple of appointments on Friday for us anyway. I then received a phone call from the nurse for Brianna letting us know that Brianna was in her room, awake and asking for us. Dr. Meyer didn't want us to keep her waiting and let us know that he would keep us updated as he received any news. We headed up to see Brianna as a family.

As we arrived, Brianna looked very groggy and very sleepy. She said she was feeling a little nauseous but overall was feeling good. She didn't feel any point at all which I was happy about. She had a bandage on her head and it made her look like the Pope. We each took some time talking to her and rotating through. At one point Watson was getting to be too much and Terry decided to take him for a walk. I was informed later that while they were out there, Watson ran into an elevator and Grandpa Turner ran to get him out but couldn't get in the elevator fast enough. However, he was able to get his arm in there before the doors shut but apparently that didn't allow them to open. He was stuck there with his arm between the doors and Watson terrified in the elevator with no one else there with him. Some nurses came and helped open the door for Terry and he was able to get Watson out. During this time I was in the room talking with Brianna. She let me know that the Anesthesiologist had taken really good care of her which made me feel really good. She said that he held her hand has she was falling asleep and told her that everything would be okay. He continually monitored the baby and kept him safe. The baby is doing fine :) She and I talked quietly for a little bit and then I let her know we were going to eat lunch while she took a nap. 

We headed down to the cafeteria and grabbed a bite to eat. Some of the food was similar to the clinic however some was different which allowed us to get a different taste for some food. It was nice just sitting together eating lunch and just having good conversations. We discussed what consults would be needed moving forward and what the plan of action would be as well as other topics. After a while, Watson no longer wanted to sit in his high chair. I looked out the window and noticed a very large courtyard and better yet there really wasn't anywhere to go once you were in there. I decided to take him out there and just spend a little time with him there. He seemed to really enjoy running around outside and I could tell it was allowing him to burn off some energy. After about 30 minutes we headed back inside and I asked my parents if they would be willing to take Watson for his nap again. They agreed that Brianna should have her parents there and they could take Watson. Kim had already gone back to visit with Brianna when Terry and I started heading hat way. I realized halfway up the elevator that I still had the diaper backpack so I called my parents and met them outside so they could have what they needed. I then headed back to see my beautiful bride. 

When I arrived she was still very sleepy and very groggy. I sat in a chair next to her and just held her hand. It felt so nice being so close to her. I then decided that I was going to take a nap and sat in the recliner. Realizing that my brain wasn't going to shut down so easily, I began writing Mayo Clinic Day 8. Brianna then needed to use the bathroom and everyone was asked to leave but she Okayed me staying. After she was settled back in her bed we spoke with the nurses for a bit. Brianna has two nurses today, Laura and Lauren. Lauren is a nurse who just graduated and Laura is her trainer. Both of them are very young and they were very nice to us. We talked about how different healthcare is and how well Brianna was recovering. Kim and Terry came back shortly after and just relaxed with us in the room. As Brianna was drifting off to sleep I decided to follow up with my Boos as to how things were going. Katie, my boss, has been very willing to work with me through all of this and it has been such a blessing to not have to worry about work these two weeks so I could focus on Brianna. I did however end up talking work with her and it was nice to see how things are moving along. I look forward to going back to work because I really do enjoy my job and what I do. As I was talking with Katie, Brianna pushed her nurse call button so I quickly got off the phone and tried to see what was going on. Brianna said that she was just feeling light headed and wanted to be rearranged. The nurse was glad to do so and wanted to know if Brianna needed to use the restroom. She informed the nurse that she needed to and we again were asked to leave. This time I left to get some water as well as use the restroom myself. 

Kim, Terry and I sat in a waiting area by the elevators and it was so nicely air conditioned which really meant it was time for a nap. I woke up and Kim and Terry were gone. I headed back to Brianna's room and there they were. Brianna was resting in the recliner. They had moved her there to prep for dinner but she didn't seem to want to hold any liquids down. I was told that she decided to throw everything she had been given up and that she just had been given some more meds to help with that. After the drugs were administered, Brianna just wanted to sleep. I called my parents and we arranged to have them come to the hospital and then we would go to dinner. Kim let me know that the nurses were talking with her about the Neurosurgeon Dr. Meyer. They informed Kim that it is very difficult to get on Dr. Meyer's as he is one of the best and is so busy. The nurses told us that we had gotten him. This was another prayer answered that Brianna would be given the best chance and that was another witness to me that God lives and he knows the needs of His children. 

We headed out to dinner and had several failed attempts of picking a location until we decided that Denny's was the place we would be eating. Watson seemed really tired but I could tell he was hungry. We spent some time in Denny's sharing stories and just enjoying our time together. Following dinner, I had a very difficult decision to make. I had to decide who needed me more, Watson or Brianna. I ended up choosing to go back to the hotel with Watson as I could tell he needed me to be with him as it had been a long day. I decided that he needed to be comforted by at least one of his parents tonight. When we got back, I gave Watson a bath which he seemed to really enjoy; I then got him ready for bed and read him some stories. I put him down and he fell asleep within 10 minutes. Considering he is in a pack n play and in a faraway place that seemed really fast. I then started writing this blog. I was really missing Brianna so I decided to text her. She just back with me and said she was starting to feel better but they had just given her some more medication and she was still very sleepy. She wanted me to share her love and convey how grateful she is for each one of you. I told her that I chose to be with Watson tonight and she confirmed that I had made the best decision. 

All in all, today was a good day because Brianna and the baby were healthy and protected during the procedure. The biopsy went well and we will have results soon. Trust me; we are just as eager to get results as you are. We are planning on going and visiting Brianna first thin in the morning following breakfast. We are hoping she is feeling a lot better in the morning. We cannot thank you enough for the prayers on behalf of our family and for Brianna and the baby's safety. We know that today many prayers were heard and answered. We continue trust in the Lord with all of our heart and we encourage you to do the same. I know that God loves us and that He has His hand involved with this. I know that we can overcome all things and I know that through Him we can find peace. May each of us find peace to our souls this night. 

I am falling asleep as I write this but I knew people wanted to know how things went today. We love you and we thank you for all you do for us and on our behalf. May we each be unified during this time and may we each draw closer to our Heavenly Father. Until Tomorrow...


2 comments:

  1. Geoff, I just saw your blog for the first time during this experience. I read the whole thing. You write well, but what I love the most is reading your testimony. Hoping for positive results, but I, too, trust in the Lord's plan. P.S. Jerry Brewer grew up in my hometown. In fact, I was his Primary President when he was a sunbeam or a star. His mother is a dear friend of mine. He won't remember me because we moved away when he was about 5. Small world, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete